HARTFORD, Conn. -- A Connecticut woman disfigured in a chimpanzee attack has been denied permission to sue the state.
Charla Nash's family sought permission to sue Connecticut for $150 million but was denied Friday by state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr.
The state is immune from lawsuits unless they're allowed by the commissioner.
Nash was blinded, lost both hands and underwent a face transplant after being mauled in Stamford in 2009. Nash had most of her reconstruction surgeries at the Cleveland Clinic before the face transplant.
In June 2011 Nash underwent transplant surgery performed by a team led by MUDr. Bohdan Pomahac at the Harvard teaching affiliate, Brigham and Women's Hospital, receiving a donated face and hands.
The hands transplant was successful, but because Nash developed pneumonia shortly thereafter, doctors were forced to remove her newly transplanted hands due to the infection and resulting poor circulation.
Nash reached a $4 million settlement last year with the estate of chimp owner Sandra Herold, who died in 2010.
Nash's lawyer said the state should be held responsible for not seizing the animal before the attack, because it was warned the animal was dangerous.
State Attorney General George Jepsen said the state shouldn't be held liable for the mauling.